Laramie County Library System has two 3D printers to make three-dimensional (3D) objects in plastic or other filament material using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file or provided via online link.
Laramie County Library’s 3D Printers
Laramie County Library has two Prusa i3 MK3s+ 3D printers. One printer is located in the Computer Center on the 3rd floor of the library. The other printer is located in the Teen Zone on the 2nd floor of the library. All print jobs are managed by library employees.
The printers have the following capabilities and specifications:
- Ability to print .obj, .stl, and .3mf files
- Options to print in high, medium, or low detail
- 9 PLA filament color choices on hand (clear, black, white, red, blue, purple, green, pink, or yellow)
- Build volume of 9.84″ x 8.3″ x 8.3″
- SuperPINDA probe to ensure first layer is accurate to design
- Automated object distribution
How to Print
- 3D print jobs cost $0.10 per gram, rounded up to the nearest gram, whether using library filament or not. The library accepts cash, check or debit/credit card (note: minimum card charge is $1).
- Users may submit up to 10 requests at one time (1 file per request form).
- Files must be in .obj, .stl, or .3mf format.
- The 3D printer can accommodate objects up to 9.84″ x 8.3″ x 8.3″ in size.
- The library has PLA filament available in 9 different colors: clear, black, white, red, blue, purple, green, pink, yellow. Click each color for an example of how it prints.
- Users can bring their own filament upon request and consultation with the library’s Information & Technology employees.
- The library will contact users when their print job is ready. 3D print jobs must be picked up within 7 days of their completion date.
- Users may choose filament color and detail in the 3D printing request form.
- Before submitting a 3D printing request form, all users must review and agree to the 3D printing policy in its entirety.
- Users utilizing the library’s 3D printing services agree to abide by current library 3D printing policy.
- Users will not be permitted to use the library’s 3D printer to create any material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state or federal law
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or an immediate threat to the well-being of others
- Constructed as having the intent to harm
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the library environment
- A gun, gun part, weapon, or a salacious object
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights
- The library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request
- The library is not responsible for any damage, loss, or security data arising from the use of its computers, equipment or network, nor the functionality or quality of content produced on the 3D printer.
- To review the policy in its entirety, please click here.
3D Printer Examples
These 3D prints were all produced using 3D Benchy, a stress test for 3D printers that tests their capabilities. To learn more about the 3D Benchy test, please visit https://www.3dbenchy.com/about/.
Please note that the price differential between low-, medium-, and high-detailed prints will be more noticeable as objects increase in size.
To view a larger version, please click the images below.
Weight: 12 grams
Weight: 12 grams
Weight: 13 grams
Design Resources and Additional Assistance
The resources below are a few options for free designs and design tools. The library is not affiliated with any of these organizations or resources.
Laramie County Library employees can provide limited assistance with 3D printing projects. If users need more advanced help, please refer to these local resources:
- Golden Eagle Wyrkshop, located in the Innovation Lab at Laramie County Community College Ludden Library
- Website: https://libguides.lccc.wy.edu/makerspace
- Phone number: 307-778-1278
- Co-coordinators: Morgan Koenig and Linda Herget
- Fabrication/Manufacturing Prototype Space, located in the basement of Laramie County Community College’s Business Building
- Space is mainly for LCCC students and there is a registration/member fee required for use
- Website: currently unavailable
- Phone: 307-778-1279
- Coordinator: Minden Fox
- Laramie County Community College’s Life Enrichment Program
- View available classes and register at http://lccc.wy.edu/workforce/lifeEnrichment/index.aspx
- Prices vary depending on the class
- Phone: 307-778-1236
- Email: email@example.com
- Program manager: Christie Goertel
- Phone: 307-778-1134
- Office: Laramie County Community College’s Center for Conferences and Institutes Building
- University of Wyoming College of Engineering and Applied Science Innovation Wyrkshop, located in the Engineering Education & Research Building #127 and #122 at 1000 E University Ave. Dept 3295 in Laramie, Wyoming
- TinkerMill- The Longmont, Colorado Makerspace located at 1840 Delaware Place, Unit A, Longmont, Colorado
Printing an Object
To print an object on a library 3D printer, please fill out the 3D printing request form. If you need assistance prior to filling out the form, please call 307-634-3561 and ask for the Computer Center. Please fill out one form for each print job.